A few weeks back, around the end of May, I came up with an interesting idea for a logo to use for a Commodore 64 intro for Hokuto Force. I designed a 3-color logo spanning multiple C64 screens in a PC graphic editor and I was looking for a way to convert it to char-mode. Unfortunately I could not find anything quickly enough so I decided to draft a tool to do just that.
I am not going to expose my logo just yet so I will show below how the tool works using somebody else’s logo meant to be displayed in char-mode (rather than hires mode). Of course the tool is meant to save time when designing graphics produced by a non cross-design editor (or simply found on the Internet, e.g. a still image): the careful design of the logo to be shown in char-mode is a high-value task and is best done in a native editor or one that behaves similarly!
So let’s assume I found the image below on the Internet and I was interested in putting together a fontset out of it (because I do know that it is a char-mode logo), without repetitions:
What I do is to load the PNG (or GIF, or BMP, etc) file into my tool, C64 Hires 2 Charmode:
By clicking on the button “Convert & Save” what I get is that I am requested to save the below picture:
Along with the video map that indexes the chars in the above fontset in order to display the original logo. The tool also gives feedback on the number of chars required to do the decomposition:
What I finally do is to use one of my other tools to convert the picture to raw font-data. I decided not to do such conversion in C64 Hires 2 Charmode when I coded it, but I might include the functionality at some point.