Quite an update!

Back in January I was working at a replacement device for my USBhost-64 project, in order to be able to come up with something relatively inexpensive that would re-use the code I had written on the C64 side for interfacing with USBhost-64.

Having almost finished with IECHost, I am switching back to that work I was doing. I am glad that I usually start a project halfway through another one, leaving the latter in a well documented state from where I can easily pick up a few months later. It did not take long for me to have the test bed back up and running today πŸ™‚

I also managed to dig out the BASIC program I was using 7 years ago to troubleshoot my development of USBhost-64:

Testing tool for USBhost-64 by Luigi Di Fraia

Testing tool for USBhost-64

I used to have this program either on tape or loaded using DC2N. Having made an update to the program itself and having developed C2NEmu since I was last running it on a Commodore 64, I thought I should be loading it into using C2NEmu in order to do some initial testing of the hardware replacement πŸ™‚

C2NEmu: first assembled prototype

C2NEmu: first assembled prototype

The C2NEmu client does not support PRG files, and that’s something that I might change in future, so I currently have to convert the PRG to TAP in order to use it with C2NEmu. As I also coded a new version of prg2tap a few months back, I decided to use that one, noticing how I had not yet committed some work into my code repository. The work pending a commit involves the support of the Enigma Variations Loader to prg2tap. Fortunately, in this case too I left my work in a state from where it was easy to pick it up quickly and finish a demonstration that uses the newly supported loader πŸ™‚

As soon as I receive a few miscellaneous components I will start testing the replacement device on my Commodore 64.

This low cost replacement for USBhost-64 has quite some potential, IMHO. As I mentioned, initially I plan to re-use the very same code on the C64, but things might eventually diverge as I am thinking about a few rationalisations that would make sense and that I was not able to implement as in USBhost-64 the USB host’s firmware is not under my control.

Stay tuned!

This entry was posted in Retrocomputing, Technical and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s