IFFL System update

I’ve spent some time in the last couple of days reshaping my IFFL code so that it would be more flexible and allow easier use. In order to try the benefits of my changes, I thought to adapt my IFFL version of “Barbarian II” to use the latest code. At this point I discovered two issues:

  1. The original tape loader loads a file at level 2 only partially: I was loading it fully, which caused the corruption of a few sprites when the female character is selected;
  2. When I fixed point 1 above and rebuilt “Barbarian II”, I discovered that Cadaver’s addiffl tool overwrites entries in the “length table” whose length’s LSB is 0.

I now fixed the second issue too and published the fix on the relevant GitHub repository.

I will publish an update of my IFFL version of “Barbarian II” as well at some point. I think I might even publish the source code I use to build it if people were interested in this. It would be a great example application of the IFFL itself and of quite some help for somebody interested in converting games to disk for which the tape loader proves to be temperamental.

Stay tuned!

About luigidifraia

I am a Senior DevOps Engineer so I get to work with the latest technologies and open-source software. However, in my private time I enjoy retro-computing.
This entry was posted in Retrocomputing, Technical and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s